Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Leaving

This will be my last post.  I leave tonight, flying from Tel Aviv to New York, then up to Boston, bus to Portland, Maine and a ride home with Maine and the world's leading jazz whistling clarinet player, Brad Terry.  It's been a rich visit, and I'll have to sift through the riches for a while once back to separate the gold from the fool's gold.
   This morning, I went with Nasser, the middle school teacher I've written about, and some of his fellow teachers to get materials for the plays he's presenting later this week.  He's excited because the Palestinian Authority is sending representatives to see the play and also because he just heard from a Palestinian NGO that they want him to do some workshops with counselors who will be working with special needs kids, and they want to sponsor his summer camp, a project he has done on his own in the past.  I think he expects that some of the volunteer help this summer will come from people he trains in the workshops he conducts.  This is one very hard working and loving man, someone you would be happy to have your child learning with.  I worked with a group of his students on a play they will be performing Thursday while Nasser worked with another group on some scenery.  An older teacher was also working with my group, and the dynamic was interesting, to say the least, especially given my little bit of Arabic is not close to good enough to teach or direct using Arabic.  The older teacher, probably younger than I but I like to think he looks older, was determined to tell the kids how to do each part.  The kids had their own ideas but knew better than to argue with a teacher who has a reputation for temper tantrums.  In the end, we worked things out, and the kids got to use their ideas, most of which were better than...you catch my meaning.
   Most of the teachers in the school smoke, which makes for smokey hallways and is a terrible example for the kids.  Nasser doesn't smoke, and a couple of others I have met don't.  Though there is a law against smoking in school, it is ignored at Nasser's school.  Why doesn't he do something about it?  I think it's a fight not worth his energy, given how many other places his energy goes.
   The kids are engaging.  Nasser is working mainly with a group of kids who are challenged by family issues, learning disabilities, hyperactivity and anger management.  They know they can trust him and they do very good work for and with him.  They're taking pride in their plays, are working hard on them, with the usual difficulty settling down in the beginning which is not limited to Palestinian early teens!  I think their plays will be a success, surprising people who see them, and the kids will gain confidence from doing them.  Several of the kids I'd like to bring over to one of our summer programs.  Hmmm, I wonder...
   This afternoon, I went into Jerusalem with Khitam to watch her work with a group of girls at a girls middle school, girls who have been identified by the social worker and principal as needing special help, again because of learning difficulties, problems at home, family issues, much like Nasser's group.  Several of the girls couldn't be there so the group was small today.  Khitam got them playing, interacting, laughing, and I could see the whole girls beneath whatever problems they have.  Khitam and I talked about "doing what one can do" on the drive home, recognizing that this work is a good step but cannot by itself solve problems.
   Home to pack, after a tedious drive here because of traffic backed up at the Qalandia check point.  We had a good final dinner and more good talk and laughter before leaving.  We'll talk more on the drive to the airport.  I'll post some photos when I get back and write some reflections on the time here if they've come into focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment